1918 - 1996 (78 years)
||Robert George GOODMAN |
||1 Sep 1918
||Stonington High School 1936 |
||Building Contractor |
||1996-347 New London Turnpike, Stonington, CT |
||12 Sep 1996
||Stonington, CT 
||31 Mar 2015 |
||John Henry (Jack) GOODMAN, b. 17 Jul 1892, Malvern, Worcestershire, England , d. 8 Feb 1965, Mystic, New London, CT (Age 72 years) |
||Jessie Irene TRUSS, b. 3 Mar 1894, 99 Sturbridge St., Bromsgrove, Worcestershire England , d. 14 Sep 1960, Mystic, CT (Age 66 years) |
||12 Apr 1914
||Christ Church, Bedford Ave. Brooklyn, NY
- Married on Easter Sunday, April 12, 1914 at Christ Church on Bedford and Division Avenue, Brooklyn, New York by Rev. Canon William Sheafe Chase at 10 AM. A wedding breakfast followed at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. & Mrs. W. G. Truss, 1169 Herkimer Street, Brooklyn, NY.
Winesses: Charles Hobday and Henry Sylvester. 
- Rev William Sheafe Chase, Rector
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Mary Elizabeth DUBOURG, b. 1925, d. 16 May 1980, Stonington, CT (Age 55 years) |
||11 Sep 1946
||St. Stephens Catholic Church, New Orleans, LA 
||11 Oct 2016 00:41:51 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Bob Goodman Family Luau - Lantern Hill Cottage |
L-R Dad Bob Goodman, Robert John, Mary P, Janet, and Mom Mary. Taken about 1960 at their lakeside cottage. Bob and Mary loved to party, and their annual gathering at the lakeside cottage was great fun always for family and friends. How could it not be, when you get dressed like this in Connecticut!
- Born in the small house near the river cove on the Haley Estate, Mystic, CT
Stationed in New Orleans while serving in the Army during WW II , there he met and married Mary Dubourg.
HIs WWII enlistment record indicates that he was a “skilled pattern and model maker”, but according to his own story, he began his career building shipping boxes during the war, and after coming home he worked as a shipbuilder at Mystic Shipyard. During the prime of his career as a builder, he built and remodeled hundreds of houses throughout the Mystic and Mason’s Island area. He was well known for the quality of his work, and was sought out for custom construction projects in homes and commercial properties. He loved the color orange, and over the years he owned a series of bright orange trucks that were familiar sights. His slogan was “For a good man, call Goodman.”
He loved to tell the story of riding out the hurricane of 1938 aboard a boat that he was trying to save. The floodwaters picked up the boat and deposited both he and the boat safely ashore. He also was known to pick up his banjo from time to time, and enjoyed dancing whenever the opportunity arose.
The home he built for his family on Mistuxet Avenue was on land once part of the Denison Homestead where Jack Goodman worked for many years as the caretaker. The land was bequethed to Jack by Ann B. D. Gates the last of the Denison family to live at the homestead.
He was a member of St. Patrick’s Church, Mystic; a charter member of Quiambaug Fire Company; and, a member of the Groton Lodge of the Elks.
- Small house near the river cove on the Haley Estate
- [S46] SSDI.
- [S6] Book of Comman Prayer, (Episcopal Church).
- [S8] Truss Family Genealogy, Beverly Lathrop.